Cocaine attorneys are the legal professionals to turn to when you're facing a cocaine-related legal problem. As criminal defense lawyers, cocaine attorneys work on behalf of individuals who are:
- Being investigated
- About to be questioned by law enforcement officers local police, state, DEA, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, etc.
- Under arrest
- Facing arraignment
- About to undergo a trial, whether by judge or jury
- Already convicted
- Waiting to be sentenced
- In need of an appellate lawyer
State and Federal Cocaine Statutes
There are several possible crimes related to cocaine, in both state and federal criminal codes. Throughout the United States, it is illegal to:
- Obtain or be in possession of cocaine
- Use cocaine
- Transport cocaine
- Traffic cocaine
- Sell or distribute cocaine in any form
The forms of cocaine include powder, paste, and vapor (freebasing cocaine); "crack" cocaine is a new variant. All forms of cocaine are classified as "Schedule II," a category of drugs that present a very high risk of addiction and abuse.
Cocaine Crimes and Penalties
The state and federal criminal codes mandate penalties for cocaine crimes such as:
- Driver's license suspension/revocation
- Jail or prison time
- Mandatory drug counseling
- Mandatory registration as a drug offender
- Very large fines
- Forfeiture of property
Cocaine Penalties and Aggravating Factors
Each state has its own set of cocaine statutes, and a cocaine defense attorney knows the potential penalties for both the state and state and federal systems. In any criminal justice system, there are aggravating factors that affect the severity of the penalties, including:
- How much cocaine the accused is alleged to have been dealing or in possession of
- Whether that amount was enough to impute an intent to distribute (sell) the cocaine
- Whether a minor (a person under 18 years old) was involved in any way with the possession, sale, etc.
- Whether anyone was injured or killed in an incident involving the accused and the cocaine
- The accused individual's history of criminal activity, if any (particularly regarding illegal substances)
Such aggravating factors also affect the one's chance of dismissal of charges, conviction, and probation.
Schedule a Consultation at a Criminal Defense Law Firm
Find an experienced, aggressive cocaine defense attorney in your area for further information if you're in legal trouble related to cocaine charges. The state or federal prosecutor and law enforcement agency involved have a great deal of power it's in your best interest to have a skilled defense lawyer working on your behalf. Contact a criminal attorney at Imhoff & Associates today.
- Imhoff & Associates Heals the Bay and Helps the Homeless for the Holidays
- Criminal Defense Attorneys, Imhoff & Associates, P.C. Celebrate 10 Years, 10,000 Cases
Jodi Arias’ Defense Attorneys’ Motions Denied
Jodi Arias’ defense attorneys filed a motion for a mistrial after a witness and longtime childhood friend of Arias, Patricia Womack, told defense attorneys that she was withdrawing her … Full article »
Now Playing: Imhoff & Associates - Criminal Defense Attorneys
Talk to Us Now
Have a Question?
We can help to answer it