Rape charges are a very serious matter for an individual. He or she may be facing jail or prison time, loss of a job or career, and lifelong stigma. One need only recall the recent case of the Duke University lacrosse players and the false rape charges that were leveled against them to understand the trauma faced by an individual charged with rape. Even though the rape charges were dropped, the rumors or impression of rape may follow the accused for the rest of their lives.
The Difficulties Faced by Those Charged with Rape
The Imhoff & Associates criminal defense attorneys are acutely aware of the difficulties faced by individual's accused of rape. Their families and friends may be supportive — or not — and their neighbors, coworkers, and larger community will all be morbidly interested in the rape charges. The accuser may well be given more credibility than the accused.
Categories of Rape Charges
Rape charges may be issued by a state, federal or military criminal system. The specific rape charges that the accused is facing must be examined by a qualified defense attorney, but some general categories are:
- Rape — Non-consensual sexual intercourse with another person
- Attempted Rape / Sexual Assault / Sexual Battery — Non-consensual sexual contact
- Date Rape / Acquaintance Rape — Rape in which the victim has a pre-existing relationship with the accused (such as a dating relationship or a prior sexual relationship)
- Marital Rape / Spousal Rape — Rape alleged to have occurred within the context of a marriage; sometimes such a charge is made or threatened during a divorce.
- Statutory Rape (Sexual Assault on a Minor) — The alleged victim is not recognized under the law as being old enough to give consent to a sexual act; in most states the age of consent is 16
- Rape Committed by a Juvenile — Different considerations may apply than for an adult charged with rape
Contact an Imhoff Rape Defense Attorney
If you have been accused of a rape charge, schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with an experience rape defense attorney today. Your defense and legal options will be discussed with you at length. For the most experienced and aggressive defense, contact a criminal lawyer at Imhoff & Associates today.